SDL Trados Special Offer : FAQs
Here are some of the Frequently Asked Questions about SDL Trados software currently on offer for translators in Africa at Tamarind Translations Nairobi
Q1. What is SDL Trados and of what benefit is it to a professional translator?
A: SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP2 is the market-leading translation memory software used by over 170,000 translation professionals. Imagine if you could translate faster? Wouldn't it be great if you could work on any file type sent by your customers? Think about how much time you could save if you didn't have to translate the same sentence again and again?
SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP2 provides a range of sophisticated features to help translators and project managers work more easily, and up to 30% faster, than ever before. Translation memory (TM) is at the heart of SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP2 and works by recycling previously translated content so that you can complete translations projects more quickly.
2. What are the technical specifications required for a computer to run SDL?
A. The following operating systems are supported for use with SDL Trados Studio 2009 and SDL MultiTerm 2009:
· Windows XP SP2 or later - Home, Professional, Media Center Editions
· Windows Vista SP1 or later - Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate Editions (64-bit is supported)
· Windows 7 - Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate Editions (64-bit is supported)
Q3. Is there a step-by step manual on how to install and use the programme after purchase of license?
Q4. After how long is the software sent to you after order has been placed?
A. It usually takes 1-3 working days (depending on the volume of orders we are processing) for us to process a reseller’s order.
Q.5 How long does it take to download the license?
A. Downloading the product (installer) may take a considerable amount of time when the clients are using an internet connection of a low bandwidth, in which case I would recommend that you provide them with a CD with the installer file so that it can be installed locally rather than from the internet. Once the software is installed, it would need to be activated over the internet, which does not consume much bandwidth. I would like to stress that the license keys cannot be provided on a CD – just the installer.
Q6. Can SDL Trados software be stored in a USB/CD after downloading such that if one loses a laptop onto which the programme was installed initially, it can be reinstalled afresh?
A. No, this is not possible. As per the previous point, only the installer can be stored/ provided on a CD/ Memory Stick – the license always “sits” on our servers. In case of a computer crash or computer theft we reinstate the licenses at no cost.
Downloading the product (installer) may take a considerable amount of time when the clients are using an internet connection of a low bandwidth, in which case I would recommend that you provide them with a CD with the installer file so that it can be installed locally rather than from the internet. Once the software is installed, it would need to be activated over the internet, which does not consume much bandwidth. I would like to stress that the license keys cannot be provided on a CD – just the installer.
It usually takes 1-3 working days (depending on the volume of orders we are processing) for us to process a reseller’s order.
Q. 7. I am from Cote d'Ivoire Do you have the SDL TRADOS STUDIO 2009 Freelance French Version?
A. SDL Trados Studio 2009 is available in French and you can change the settings to have the user interface in this language.
Q.8 Is SDL Trados Studio 2009 basically machine translation software?
A. No! SDL Trados Studio 2009 is a platform for translation that provides various Computer Aided Translation (CAT) tools and environment to help a professional translator work more efficiently:
• Translation memory: A translation memory is a linguistic database that continually captures your translations as your work for future use.
• Terminology management : Most companies use an increasing number of industry- or organization-specific words which need to be accurately stored, shared and translated. Terms could be anything
from a product name to a marketing tag line
• Software localization: SDL Trados (Passolo) offers the tools required to localize all the elements contained in the software, including strings, menus, dialogs, bitmaps, and icons. With SDL Passolo you can create localized software versions without requiring access to the source text files or the development environment used for developing the software.
• Automated translation Machine or Translation: SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP2 extends the capabilities of automated translation to include support for a total of 3 machine translation engines.
Automated translation is the translation of text by a computer, with no human involvement. Pioneered in the 1950s, automated translation can also be referred to as machine translation, automatic or instant translation.
For more information contact our SDL team:
Q.9 : What is the difference between SDL Trados Studio 2009 Professional and SDL Trados Studio 2009 Professional-Academic?
A. There are no differences in functionalities whatsoever between SDL Trados Studio 2009 (Activation) and the SDL Trados Studio 2009 (Activation) Academic – it is the same product, the only difference lies in the naming convention and price: since universities can purchase our products at 90% discount, their licenses are referred to as “Academic” due to their price that is available only to “Academic” clients